Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

The way things are going: A true story


The way things are going: A true story.
(by Sergio J. Fernandez, April 29, 2013)

Not long ago, I accompanied one of my coworkers to inspect a facility located here in Miami-Dade County. As part of the protocol, we went to the facility office to notify the manager the reason for our visit. While we were talking, he told us the following story:

My son recently graduated form the university, he is now an architect, but he has not been able to find a job as an architect yet. So, he applied to work as a guard in a security company because that was the only job opportunity he found to earn some money to start paying back his student loan.

There is a lady working at the place where my son was posted as a security guard. The lady is about the same age of my son’s mother, and apparently she has noticed that my son is well educated, but she doesn’t know he is an architect.

One day she approached him and told him in a motherly tone: "Son, do not contempt yourself with this kind of job, you are still too young to settle for this. Go back to school and study a career so you can get a professional job and have a better future.”

My son smiled at the lady and told her: “You are absolutely right madam; that is what I should do. Thank you for the advice. God bless you.”

Who would have imagined that the only job opportunity for a recently graduated architect was going to be that of a security guard?

But that’s the way things are going these days…


No comments:

Post a Comment